Needham Driving School Driver
Driving hours can be scheduled 7 days a week. We will pick you up and drop you off at your home or school. Needham, Wellesley, Newton, Dover, Natick, Dedham, Weston, Westwood, and vicinity
Students will learn to:
- Complete a Pre-Driving Vehicle Check
- Familiarize themselves with vehicle controls and how to adjust mirrors, seat and steering wheel accordingly
- Apply the concept of SIPDE (Search, Identify, Predict, Decide, Execute)
- Recognize and obey traffic signs, signals, and road markings
- Use directional effectively
- Back up in a straight line for a distance of over 50 feet
- Share the road with pedestrians and bicycles
- Make right and left hand turns
- Make U turns
- Three point turns
- Change lanes and when it is safe to do so
- How to safely pass a vehicle
- Merge into traffic
- Parallel park
- Park the vehicle in a parking lot and on the side of the road
- Drive on hills
- Apply common sense and good decision making when driving
- How to react to emergency vehicles
- How to safely pull off the road for an emergency
- Learn braking techniques used for vehicles equipped with and without ABS brakes
- Navigate roundabouts and rotaries
- Drive in all weather conditions, and the varying speed to accommodate all road conditions
- Navigate safely through road construction and detours
- Enter and exit a highway
- Travel safely on the highway
Behind the wheel instruction will be taught through verbal instruction, observation and demonstration. Students at Needham Driving School will be exposed to all types of driving conditions before completing their driver education course. Driving in urban, rural and highway environments can all present different problems and it is crucial to expose the students to all situations possible. Instructors will guide students to make proper mirror,seat,and steering wheel adjustments to provide maximum safety, visibility and comfort while driving. All lessons will also apply the concept of SIPDE (Search,Identify,Predict,Decide,Execute). This concept will train students to always be aware of their surroundings and realize the dangers of distractions while driving. Students will learn and practice all skills listed above. The order in which they will be taught will be based on the students progression and skill level
Needham Driving School encourages you to enroll in person and check out our modern classroom. Our office hours are Monday-Thursday 10am-6pm and Friday 10am-4pm. If our office hours are not convenient for you please call and we will set up a time to meet with you at your convenience. If you prefer you can also print out an enrollment form and mail a check payable to Needham Driving School. (Please note that there are a limited number of students enrolled at one time and reservations are on a first come first serve basis) Students can begin the classroom portion of driver's education at 15 years and 9 months. At 16 students are eligible to receive a learner's permit. Once a student has a learners permit behind the wheel instruction and observation can begin.
Needham Driving School Classroom Curriculum
Each class is 2 hours
Module 1 "Introduction to Drivers Education"
Module 2 "Signs,Signals and Road Markings"
Module 3 "Understanding the Vehicle and Its Controls"
Module 4 "Basic Driving Skills"
Module 5 "Rules of the Road"
Module 6 "Making Safe Driving Decisions"
Module 7 "Sharing the Road"
Module 8 "How Natural Laws Affect Driving"
Module 9 "Different Driving Environments"
Module 10 "Driving in All Weather Conditions"
Module 11 "Mental and Physical Effects on Driving"
Module 12 "The Dangers of Alcohol, Drugs and Driving Part 1"
Module 13 "The Dangers of Alcohol, Drugs and Driving Part 2"
Module 14 "Consequences of Unsafe Driving and Poor Decision Making"
Module 15 "Handling Emergencies and Breakdowns & Final Review"